Roof maintenance Ottawa companies help you get your home in top shape. Roofing maintenance should be done regularly to keep your roof in tip top condition. The most common materials for roofing is asphalt. With proper roof maintenance, asphalt shingles will not only look good but will also hold up well against the elements.
What are the main causes of roof damage?
Most often damage is caused by the natural elements, such as sunlight, wind, rain, hail and snow. However mold, algae, tree sap and plant debris can be cause for concern as well. Lastly, damage can be caused by a poorly installed roof, neglected repairs, and an imbalance of ventilation.
The reality is that even with a perfect installation, In time, wind, rain, snow and sunshine will take their toll on your roof. Especially in Ottawa, where winters can be extremely harsh. Heavy snowfall and ice build-up can add a lot of extra weight and wear and tear on your roof.
Roof maintenance starts with a regular roof inspection every spring and fall. Roof inspections are an important part of roof maintenance along with routine cleaning, clearing and tidying your roof.
Far too many homeowners “fix things when they break”. With a little extra care and routine cleaning and roof maintenance, it could mean the difference between a long lasting roof or a roof replacement or costly roof repairs.
Your preventative roof maintenance Ottawa routine should include:
- Removing sticks, leaves and other debris from your roof
- Trimming any branches that are hanging over your roof
- Looking for damaged, curling or missing shingles and fixing them
- Inspecting for moss, algae and fungus
- Checking all metal areas for rust
- Inspecting your flashing to make sure it’s solid and secure
- Checking for cracks in your mortar or deteriorated caulking
- Looking for any signs of water damage, leaking, mold or dampness inside your attic and home.
Plus, during the winter season, be sure to clear off ice and snow. When your roof vents are covered with snow and ice, it will trap heat in your attic and form ice buildup and additional problems. Ice buildup or what we call “ice dams” can lift shingles.
Ice buildup on shingles is formed when the cold air in your soffit mingles with the warm air in the shingles about the soffits. Ice dams are a leading cause of roofing repair problems in Ottawa. Unless removed, ice dams tend to keep growing and can lift your shingles. When water gets trapped behind the ice dam, it can back up under your shingles. Once that happens there’s nothing stopping water from penetrating into your attic and damaging your home.
Lengthy exposure to moisture and condensation can cause plywood damage, as well as damage to your insulation and more. Water damage on drywall, ceiling textures, paint and insulation can be a expensive fix. It costs far less in the long run to remove the snow and ice before it causes any damage or you detect a leak.
To fully protect your roof against the elements, it’s always best to invest the time in routine maintenance. Be sure to inspect all roofing areas, and remove the snow and ice from your roof regularly. Hire the top roof maintenance Ottawa company today, give us a call right now at (613) 699-6650 to see how our contractors can help you maintain your roof.
Find Us On Maps
Our Commitment To You
- Scheduling Your Residential Roofing Repair West Carleton Ontario Project
- Setting Up Your Residential Roofing Repair Rideau Ontario Project
- Booking Your Residential Roofing Repair Ottawa Ontario Project
- Scheduling Your Residential Roofing Repair Osgoode Ontario Project
- Scheduling Your Residential Roofing Repair Nepean Ontario Project